Monday, February 16, 2009

Red Felt Hearts


Working with children has many benefits. Even though my bank account generally stays close to empty my heart is always overflowing. Children have a special way of making us laugh and keeping us young. A look, a giggle, a simple phrase can move us back decades in time to a place where we were young and full of hope and promise.

Last Friday we celebrated Valentine's Day at Morning Glory. Since most of our children come from economically challenged families (we are politically correct and do not say poor. lol) we outlawed mandatory gift exchanges for a more financially feasible sweet treat. We only allow flowers or sweets to be brought as gifts to exchange on Valentine's day. Each teacher planned a special party for their kids and brought a special treat to share with the class.

When I get to school in the mornings I like to sit in my car for a few minutes and observe the students and teachers as they go to class. This year we have hired a new PE teacher. He is a young man, very athletic, logical for a PE teacher and actually quite attractive. This morning I noticed a group of giggly fifth graders. They were all grouped together, giggling and pushing each other. I watched, fascinated, trying to figure out what they were up to. Then the new teacher walked up. As I watched the giggly little girls all went up one by one to give him their valentine's day gift, a flower, a card a little box of candy and a snickers bar. One girl had made a stuffed red felt heart. Obviously she had made it herself because it was crooked and the lace was falling off. It was then I realized, the new rock star was my PE teacher. He was totally oblivious to the undercurrents and politely thanked each child and went to teach his first class. As I watched, an unobserved intruder, the girls huddled. I could almost hear their hearts beat in youthful infatuation. As I watched those silly little fifth grade girls all of the sudden I remembered my sixth grade teacher, Mr. Santisteven, yep I still remember his name. He was so nice and kind. I dreamed everynight of growing up and marrying him. I dreamed that he would take me away to a palace where he was the prince and make me a princess. But all of the sudden I realized, I can't remember what he looked like. Was he tall? What color were his eyes? I have no idea. To be honest I hadn't thought of him in years. It was those giggly girls and the silly stuffed red felt heart.

Today as Tim walked out of his office to go to class, he caught a moment in time. Three little girls walking up the sidewalk hand in hand. As he snapped the picture the girls yelled. "Amigas para Siempre." Best friends forever.

Whether it be a girlhood crush on a new teacher or friendships forged in the classrooms and playground our childhood shapes the rest of our life. I pray that we can continue to provide a place where kids can grow safe and secure in love and free from fear of harm.

2 comments:

Oscar Santamaria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Oscar Santamaria said...

hi sister and brother Nij Dios les bendiga (God bless you) i was passing by the old pictures and videos, i came across...your blog....I was in Guatemala doing a short term Mission trip on Central America (I teached a class on your school am a witness of you work that you do on Guatemala...is awesome and it take the calling of God to do this..
God bless you.
http://www.misionesparacristo.com